The Town Club
We offer gracious entertaining, elegant dining, a beautiful setting for private parties, and a variety of special Club events for
The Town Club members, guests, and reciprocal club members.
With the “Roaring Twenties” as a backdrop, a group of Pasadena ladies banded together in 1927 – several years before The Great Depression and just 41 years after Pasadena was incorporated — with the mission of building their special club where they could entertain their families and friends, and share cultural, intellectual, and social activities.
Design: Architect Roland Coate designed The Town Club as a warm and inviting clubhouse rather than as a home, and as one of the early members, Grayson Barber (Mrs. John), noted, “Little did we know how famous he would become.” Coate is now considered one of the giants of 20th-century modern architecture. Contractor Ray Gerhart completed building the clubhouse in 1927. The plans and records are preserved in the Club’s archives. The Town Club’s Roland Coate Fund for property improvements is named in his honor.
Furnishings: According to Grayson Barber, “The talented members haunted the antique shops and scraped, painted, and repaired much of the furniture. Other members gave many treasures to the Club. The original side lights were old tin cheese graters painted black; the light came through the holes and was charming.” The Town Club has continued to be honored by its generous members since its founding with donations of beautiful furniture, antiques, silver service, china, linens, and artwork, contributing to the present-day elegance of the Club.
Fine Dining: Brayson Barber also noted that the members took turns planning the meals from the beginning. Our famous recipe file began with the opening of the Club in 1927, as featured in Cooking With The Town Club of Pasadena, published in 2014. Miss Le Baron was the first manager. Historical records reveal that she came from New 12 Orleans and South Carolina and knew about fine cuisine. She was a maiden lady living with her two sisters and a brother. She loved good food, the Club, and all the members, too, except when they were late for meals! Miss Le Baron insisted on style. During her tenure, the Town Club always had three courses, finger bowls, and butterballs. As society newspaper columnist Cholly Angeleno wrote in 1973 in the Herald Examiner, “The Town Club is renowned for its excellent food.” Fine cuisine with elegant presentation continues to be a tradition at The Town Club.
Community Service: During World War II, tables were set up every Monday morning to make items for the service men and women. Ninety members produced 8,224 garments for the war effort, totaling 23,643 volunteer hours. President Harry Truman sent a Citation of Appreciation for this volunteer work. Today, members of The Town Club are involved with careers and myriad philanthropic, arts, music, health, academic, and civic activities in Pasadena and Southern California.
The Town Club's warm, welcoming atmosphere, good friends and camaraderie, educational and entertaining programs and events, and dedication to the Club and each other will continue to hold the membership in good stead in the future.
The Town Club Pasadena is conveniently located in Pasadena, California, a short distance from museums, gardens, local shops, and much more.
For more information about The Town Club Pasadena, please reach out to us at email@example.com